Homemade Tuna Sushi
Tuna sushi is a pretty easy first time sushi recipe to try if you have never made sushi. The rolling takes a bit of practice, but trust us, after the first time, you will be a pro. Adding the tuna gives you extra protein to keep you fuller longer. This recipe uses oriental cucumber, avocado, some fresh ginger, Skipjack Tuna, sushi rice, and a spicy mayonnaise. Simple to make, and simply delicious and satisfying.
Prepare the sushi rice first. This is simply a mixture of rice vinegar and sugar. You will prepare the brine, cook the sushi rice, and then add the mixture to the rice spoonful by spoonful, patting the rice as you go. Directions are on the back of the sushi rice. Lay out the nori roll, then add rice and top it with the tuna, oriental cucumber, and avocado pieces.
Then it’s time to begin the rolling process. You may have to practice a few times, but it is really pretty simple once you get the hang of it. The trick is to squeeze while rolling. As you roll, remember to pull back on the mat so it does not roll into the sushi roll. Once you get to this point, give it a good squeeze so it doesn’t fall apart when you cut the roll into bite-sized pieces.
- 4 Cups Sushi Rice
- 1 Package Nori Wraps
- 1 Oriental Cucumber
- 1 Can Skipjack Tuna
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Inches Fresh Ginger Grated
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha
- Make the Sushi Rice according to directions on package, then place a damp cloth over rice so it does not dry out.
- Mix the mayo with the sriracha sauce.
- Lay down the nori roll and add the rice.
- Spread a tablespoon of the mayo mixture over the rice.
- Top the rice with tuna along with the oriental cucumber and avocado pieces.
- Now you roll: As you roll you will pull back on the mat so it does not roll into the sushi roll.
- When you get to the end of the roll, give it a good squeeze so it doesn't fall apart when cut.
- Slice into bite-sized pieces.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do. If you enjoyed this meal idea, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe. And for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!