Drastically reduce the sodium of a traditional Taco Salad Bowl when you make this Heart Healthy Taco Salad Bowl recipe instead. Just as delicious and your heart, and stomach, will thank you!
Low Sodium Taco Salad Bowl
If you enjoy heading out to your favorite Mexican restaurant for a taco salad, but you just started watching your sodium intake, you are absolutely going to love this simple Heart-Healthy Taco Salad Bowl recipe. This dish is like a fiesta of flavors in your mouth without all of the sodium you’ll get from most restaurants. Spinach leaves are piled into a spinach tortilla bowl, then topped with seasoned ground turkey, homemade refried beans, no salt added corn, shredded cheese, homemade salsa, homemade guacamole, and sour cream. The flavors and textures are so pleasing to the palate, this is one meal the whole family will enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: By using the juice from the Ro*tel instead of water with the seasoning mix, you add a bolder flavor to the meat.
- 4 large spinach tortillas
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 packet Mrs. Dash Taco Seasoning
- 1 can No Salt Added Ro*tel
- 4 loose cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 can no salt added corn
- Homemade refried beans
- Homemade guacamole
- Homemade salsa
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese for topping, optional
- Sour cream for topping, optional
- Tortilla strips for topping, optional
- Over medium heat on the stovetop, cook ground turkey until done, about 10 minutes, reduce heat to lowest setting.
- Add the can of Ro*tel with the juice and the seasoning mix in with the turkey, and stir; allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- While your turkey is cooking, prepare your tortilla boats. Turn over a 12-cup muffin tin, place each tortilla between 4 of the cups, then press down to create "bowls". Cook at 375ºF for 10 minutes.
- Place bowls on a plate, layer 1 cup of spinach in each, top with ground turkey, beans, corn, guacamole, salsa, cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
Traditional taco salads range from 775 - 1300mg of sodium. This version has roughly 625mg of sodium (value calculated without added tortilla strips).
If you love this tasty, low-sodium dish, you might also want to try some of our other low-sodium favorites:
- Ready in about 30 minutes, these awesome Tasty Turkey and Bean Tostadas are a sure-fire healthy meal on busy weeknights. Bursting with color, flavor, and crunch, your whole family will enjoy this simple no-fork-required meal!
- If you love Chicken Cordon Bleu, but hate all of the fuss, you’re going to love the amazing taste and simplicity of this all-star recipe for Ground Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers!
- Wow them at the dinner table tonight with this simple 3-Ingredient Baked Dijon Chicken Breasts recipe. Juicy on the inside, bursting with crispy flavor on the outside, this fabulous meal only requires 10 minutes of prep time!
We hope you love this Heart-Healthy Taco Salad Bowl recipe as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple recipe, be sure to visit our Low Sodium section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our members are sharing. Enjoy!