You need to take advantage of these five exceptional Health Benefits of Baking Soda starting today to improve your health and well-being. Number 3 may surprise you!
Baking soda is likely the most inexpensive, natural health remedy in the world. It is effective at combating everything from colds to intigestion, as well as beneficial for oral health.
5 Exceptional Health Benefits of Baking Soda
- Oral Health – For an easy tooth and gum paste, use a mixture of six parts of baking soda to one part of sea salt. This can rebalance the levels of acid and help to treat and prevent halitosis.
- Slow the Progress of Kidney Disease – In a study by British scientists at the Royal London Hospital it was determined that sodium bicarbonate can dramatically slow the progress of chronic kidney disease. Bicarbonate is an alkaline substance naturally produced in the body that buffers acids and helps keep pH in check. In people who have chronic kidney disease, which is most often caused by diabetes or hypertension, poorly functioning kidneys have a hard time removing acid from the body. This often results in a condition known as metabolic acidosis.
- Antacid – Baking soda has antacid properties and is beneficial in relieving the symptoms of acid indigestion, severe acidity, and heartburn. Sodium bicarbonate quickly neutralizes stomach acid and relieves symptoms of acid reflux as well. Add ½ teaspoon to ½ glass (4 fl. oz.) of water and drink every 2 hours, or as directed by a physician.
- Enhance Athletic Performance – When taken before intense exercise, sodium bicarbonate buffers the lactic acid that builds up in hard-working muscles, delays fatigue, and enhances athletic performance.
- Relieve Cold and Flu – Baking soda is beneficial in providing relief from cold and flu. A nasal wash made by mixing lukewarm water, salt, and baking soda helps to clean the mucus from the nose.
Baking Soda Uses
- Freshen Your Breath -Mix 1 tsp of baking soda in a glass of water. Swish, spit, and rinse. Easy mouthwash that neutralizes odors.
- Make a Bath Soak – Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to your bath to neutralize acids on the skin and help wash away oil and perspiration; it also makes your skin feel very soft.
- Soothe Your Feet – Dissolve 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a tub of warm water and soak feet. Gently scrub. You can also make a spa soak for your feet.
- Face Exfoliator – Remove dry skin from your face by creating your own baking soda exfoliate. Combine one teaspoon of baking soda with half a cup of water and rub it on your face in a circular motion, then rinse.
- Natural Kitchen Scrub – Sprinkle baking soda on the surfaces in your kitchen and use a sponge or rag to scrub.
We hope you find this information about the 5 Exceptional Health Benefits of Baking Soda useful in your quest for a happier, healthier you. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to visit our Healthy Tips section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research and personal experience.