One of a kind Cran-Apple Crisp Pastry Braid with a hint of cranberry is surrounded by a soft and flaky crust that’s topped with chopped pecans, then drizzled with maple sugar glaze. Perfect for the holidays!
Hey there, SoFabFood readers! I’m Cathy: foodie, DIYer, desert dweller, and blogger behind Our Mini Family! I’m so excited to be sharing one of my classic winter recipes with you here.
Winter wouldn’t be the same without the delicious and traditional pastries we enjoy baking this time of year. This Cran-Apple Crisp Pastry Braid is a real winner during the holiday season. It is filled with decadent apple crisp with a hint of cranberry flavor, surrounded by a soft and flaky crust topped with chopped pecans and drizzled with maple sugar glaze.
This time of year is seriously the perfect opportunity to bake! With so many family gatherings, holiday parties, and gift-giving opportunities, we can utilize those traditional baking recipes that are tried and true (and also experiment with some new favorites we find online).
Apple crisp is my favorite fall treat, but since I love it so much, I found a way to carry the recipe with me through the winter season with the addition of cranberries.
This Cran-Apple Crisp Pastry Braid doubles as a delicious breakfast pastry and a festive dessert. So whether you are in the mood to bake something sweet for yourself, or if you’re on the hunt for a fabulous recipe to use for your next holiday gathering, we invite you to try your new favorite pastry!
Apple crisp fanatics won’t be able to keep their hands off of this pastry treat. Every bite is packed with creamy and sweet apples topped with delicious crisp, paired with a flaky crust drizzled with the sweetest maple sugar glaze you’ve ever tasted. Pecans are a wonderful topping for this recipe, but we invite you to experiment and top it with some of your other favorite winter nuts too.
Be sure to visit us at Our Mini Family, and see all of our other countless delicious recipes to choose from!
- 1 puff pastry sheet (thawed)
- ½ cup of fresh cranberries
- 2 to 3 Granny Smith Apples (peel cored and sliced)
- 1½ tablespoons of granulated sugar
- ⅓ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ cup of light brown sugar
- ¼ cup of rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter (cold, cut into small pieces) + 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter (melted)
- 2½ tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of chopped pecans
- ¼ cup of confectioner sugar
- ½ tablespoon of milk
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and place your thawed puff pastry sheet on top of the sheet.
- In a medium bowl, toss your apple slices with your granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread the apple cinnamon mixture on top of the puff pastry sheet.
- Cut up your cranberries into halves, and sprinkle on top of the apple mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine your oats with the brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Sprinkle oats, brown sugar, and butter mixture over the apples and cranberries.
- To start the pastry braid, use kitchen scissors to create 10 even strips of dough on each side of the pastry. Cut the strips all of the way up to the middle where your filling is.
- For braiding, begin at one end of the pastry and fold opposite sides of the strips of dough at an angle over the filling (to ensure you're covering the filling so that it does not leak out when it's baking).
- Top the braided pastry with chopped pecans.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the braid is baking in the oven, prepare your maple sugar glaze by combining 1 tablespoon of melted butter, confectioner sugar, milk, and maple syrup. Whisk together until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Once the braid is fully baked, allow it time to cool and then drizzle the pastry with your maple sugar glaze.
- To store, cover with aluminum foil until it's ready to re-heat.
- Serve warm!
We hope you enjoy this Cran-Apple Crisp Pastry Braid recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Cathy from Our Mini Family, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this decadent pastry braid recipe, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!