When you crave that luscious, indulgent chocolate fix, this Chocolate Lava Cake with Truffle Center is what you need! No use of excessive butter or risking eating raw eggs is involved making it perfect for cheat day with minimal guilt.
Hey SoFabFood Readers! I’m Mahy, the crazy mom, die hard foodie, coffee addict, and serious chocoholic from TwoPurpleFigs food blog! I am here to share a luscious Chocolate Lava Cake with Truffle Center with you today. But wait, it’s not one of those butter loaded recipes. While I love butter and chocolate, I also love to indulge with minimal guilt so cheat day doesn’t turn into guilt day a week later.
Let’s talk for a minute about that melting, oozing chocolate center. It’s probably the most divine chocolate sauce, chocolate truffle, chocolate anything you can imagine! It’s basically a chocolate truffle. A divine and luscious chocolate truffle. First of all, this chocolate truffle is easier to make than you think. Second, you can flavor it endlessly! A dash of espresso, coconut flakes, chai spice, cinnamon boost, almond oil, peppermint oil, sea salt…you name it!
Mini Chocolate Lava Cake with Truffle Center
You’ll basically need to use a ratio of 2:1 of chocolate chunks to heavy cream. So one cup of chocolate chunks would get half a cup of cream. This mixture is microwaved for a minute and whisked until smooth. While it’s luscious as it is, you need to chill this truffle mixture and scoop it out later using an ice cream scoop into mini inch-size balls. When these truffles hit the oven, they start to melt and create a perfect lava filling for your lava cakes!
Let’s talk about the intensely chocolatey cakes. Light as air, yet tender and fluffy. It’s not your good old fudgy dense chocolate cake for the record. It’s rather that fluffy, airy, fancy type chocolate cake. It starts with a quick microwave of chocolate chunks and butter. In a large bowl, you’ll need a mixer to beat up the eggs, sugar, pinch of salt, and vanilla until fluffy and light.
Next you’ll quickly add in some cocoa powder and flour, beat them, and then divide them among your ramekins. Now place a chocolate truffle in the center of each chocolate cake in the ramekin. Cover up the top of the chocolate truffles with more cake batter and bake. As soon as the cakes puff up, they’re ready. Plate them, dust some confectioner’s sugar (optional), throw in some strawberries, raspberries, whatever your heart desires, and treat yourself!
Grab your fork and break through the center of the cake. Watch that melting truffle center thrust out of that fluffy chocolatey cake. Grab a bite of both cake and lava together, close your eyes, and it’s chocolate heaven! It’s that moment you wish would never end. This chocolate lava cake is a real chocoholic dream. Don’t miss out on treating yourself and enjoying this show-stopping dessert!
Think this all sounds like too much work? Really, it’s quite simple! Watch the video to see how quickly and easily this decadent dessert comes together.
Before I let you go, I wanted to share a tip: Use a tiny piece of parchment paper at the bottom of each ramekin to line it up before filling it with the cake batter so it un-molds easily. Also, here’s my go to chocolate truffle recipe on my blog . I would strongly encourage you to make a large batch of these luscious truffles and keep them airtight in your fridge. When you feel like a chocolate lava cake, then simply whip the batter and throw in a chocolate truffle from your fridge!
- 1/4 cup chopped chocolate chunks (a mix of dark and milk chocolate)
- 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Chopped Chocolate Chunks (a mix of dark and milk chocolate)
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a small glass bowl, add the truffle ingredients and microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk until smooth and set aside to chill.
- In a bowl, add the chocolate chunks and butter. Microwave for a minute and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, salt, sugar, and vanilla. Use an electric beater, beat the mixture for 4 minutes until light, fluffy, and tripled in volume.
- Add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture, beat well using an electric mixer. Add the cocoa powder and flour, and then beat well.
- Divide the batter among two ramekins.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or spoon, spoon the truffle mixture into mini golf size balls, and place a truffle in the center of each cake batter. Use a spoon to cover the tops of the truffles with the surrounding cake batter.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes until the cakes have puffed evenly.
- Use a knife, un-mold the cakes from the ramekins, and invert them to a serving plate.
- Dust with confectioner sugar (optional) and serve right away!
Home Chef Tip: For easy un-molding from the ramekins, place a tiny piece of parchment paper at the bottom of each ramekin so you can invert the cakes easily.
We hope you love this Chocolate Lava Cake with Truffle Center from SoFabFood Home Chef, Mahy from Two Purple Figs, as much as we do. If you love this mini dessert, stop by our Desserts section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!