Brown Rice and Quinoa Salad
Quinoa (KEEN-wah) is a grain that has gained a lot of respect for its health benefits. This “superfood” has really had an increased following with vegans, vegetarians, and people trying to eat healthier and lose a little weight. It can be used in salads and pretty much anyway you would use rice and it’s a great source of protein. We used brown rice and quinoa to make this healthy salad and it’s a delicious lunch option.
This grain has come from the back of the health food store to front and center in your local grocery store. It also comes with different spices if you need a little help in that department. Quinoa is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.
- 2 Cups Quinoa
- 2 Cups Brown Rice
- 2 Cans Tomato and Green Chiles, Undrained
- 1 Cucumber
- ½ an Onion
- ½ Cup Chopped Broccoli
- Cilantro to Taste
- Lemon Zest
- Cook brown rice and quinoa according to package instructions.
- Mix the cooled quinoa and brown rice in a large bowl.
- Add 2 cans of tomato and green chiles.
- Dice your cucumbers and onion.
- Finely chop the broccoli.
- Chop cilantro.
- Mix all together and sprinkle with lemon zest and lemon juice.
We hope you love this simple recipe for an easy meal idea for your busy week. Be sure to find more recipes like this in our Salad section. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter. Just by entering your email address, you’ll get a recipe per day delivered right to your inbox. Enjoy!