After a long week, you deserve a glass of wine, but did you know that glass of goodness actually helps slim your waistline and more? These five red wine health benefits may surprise you!
Who doesn’t love a good glass of red wine after a long, busy day? Sometimes you might feel guilty about indulging, but you don’t have to as long as you drink in moderation. Treat yourself during happy hour with a glass of your favorite red wine! These five red wine health benefits might surprise you.
Enjoy Your Glass of Red Wine and these Health Benefits:
- Fight Obesity and Weight Gain – According to a Purdue University Study, “A compound found in red wine, grapes, and other fruits, and similar in structure to resveratrol, is able to block cellular processes that allow fat cells to develop, opening a door to a potential method to control obesity”.
- Fight Free Radicals – Because of its ability to fight free radical damage, resveratrol can block the multi-step process of carcinogenesis, including the various stages of tumor initiation, promotion, and progression.
- Boost Your Brain – Resveratrol may also be key to keeping your memory sharp. The compound has been shown to hamper the formation of beta-amyloid protein, a key ingredient found in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Ward Off a Cold – A study in the American Journal of Epidemiology found that among 4,000 faculty members at five Spanish universities, those who drank more than 14 weekly glasses of wine for a year were 40% less likely to come down with a common cold than those who did not. Those antioxidants are powerful things!
- Heart Health – Resveratrol has been tied to heart health. Numerous cross-sectional, observational, and controlled studies have shown that drinking moderate amounts of red wine has beneficial effects on many different aspects related to cardiovascular disease.
3 of our favorite wine-based drinks for you to enjoy:
- This Summer’s End Sangria recipe is perfect for any celebration. This sparkling wine punch is a refreshing crowd pleaser.
- The aroma of this Orange Spiced Mulled Wine smells so incredible, and the taste is even better!
- These Very Berry Wine Slushies are a fun adult twist on the fruit slushies you enjoyed as a kid.
We hope you find this information about the health benefits of red wine helpful. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to visit our Healthy Food Tips section for more articles like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research, doctor recommendations, and personal experience. Message intended for our readers 21 years of age and older. Please drink responsibly!