This 5-Ingredient Sausage Orzo Cassoulet with bell peppers and Cajun seasoning is the perfect quick and easy one-pot weeknight meal.
P.S.A.: This recipe is delicious and is only five ingredients. I basically just told you all you need to know about this recipe. It’s delicious and has only five ingredients. Who doesn’t want that for dinner? For the sake of fun and for the love of food, I’ll tell you more though. The number of ingredients in this 5-Ingredient Sausage Orzo Cassoulet recipe may be minimal, but they’re each powerhouses.
5-Ingredient Sausage Orzo Cassoulet
Italian sausage is one of my favorite ingredients because it has a little fat content for moisture and texture, and is loaded with seasonings to make any dish extra special. Bell peppers are beautiful, crunchy, and crisp and add a boost of nutrition to the dish. The Cajun seasoning is loaded with all sorts of delicious spices and a bit of heat too!
Orzo is a great mini pasta that soaks up all the liquid and creates a yummy, creamy sauce in this 5-Ingredient Sausage Orzo Cassoulet. Chicken stock is there because you need liquid to cook the pasta and using stock gives any recipe a boost of flavor versus using water.
You can also toss in a handful of fresh herbs and a touch of cream if you aren’t concerned with keeping the recipe five ingredients or less.
I almost forgot to mention that this 5-Ingredient Sausage Orzo Cassoulet recipe takes less than 30 minutes to throw together! Just chop some peppers, sauté, and simmer! Dinner is ready in no time and the whole family will absolutely dig it. What are some of your favorite 5-ingredient meals?
- 1 lb mild or hot ground Italian sausage
- 2 medium bell peppers, diced
- 2 ½ tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 8 oz orzo
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- Handful chopped fresh parsley and splash of cream (optional)
- Heat a Dutch oven or medium stock pot to medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mostly browned.
- Add bell peppers and sauté 2-3 minutes, until slightly soft.
- Stir in Cajun seasoning and orzo until combined.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until orzo is al dente and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Stir in parsley and cream, if using.
Home Chef Tip: For a leaner dish, use chicken or turkey Italian sausage.
We hope you love this 5-Ingredient Sausage Orzo Cassoulet recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Julie from The Gourmet RD, as much as we do. If you love this 30-minute meal, be sure to visit our Dinner section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!